SSRR

Dedicated to saving the lives of Rottweilers throughout the states of AL, AR, FL, GA, KY, LA, MS, NC, OK, SC, TN, TX & VA

Friday, December 19, 2014

Southern States Rescued Rottweilers Congratulates Ron Andreano 100th Adopter for 2014


On October 31st, Ron Andreano adopted his foster dog, Bo, making him the 100th dog placed in a permanent home since January 1st. SSRR interviewed Ron regarding his adoption of Bo and his overall experience with rescue.


How did you get involved in volunteering for Southern States Rescued Rottweilers?
I had adopted my first Rottie in 2008; he was 3 months old. I had previously believed the hype about Rottweilers being aggressive. I thought if I adopted him as a puppy I would be able to have a nice dog. I had Elmo for 13 months before I lost him; he really opened my eyes to the kind of love a Rottweiler has for his family. I searched for Rottweiler web pages on Facebook and came across SSRR so I “liked” the page. I kept noticing all the Rotts that would be killed if they could not find foster homes. I filled out the foster application so I could help save these wonderful dogs. 

What type of volunteer duties are you involved in?
I am a foster parent; so far I have fostered 5 Rottis for the group. I do home visits for local people who have applied to adopt from SSRR. I also help in transporting these beautiful dogs to their new homes. I often provide a place for them at my home when we need temp fosters or overnight stays.

What was Bo’s history and how did he end up becoming your foster? 
Bo was severely starved and neglected by his owner in Virginia; the court terminated the owner’s rights. He was emaciated and in very bad health when rescued by SSRR.  Bo then ended up in a foster home in Nashville, but he kept escaping and the foster informed SSRR that he needed to go to another home. I drove to Nashville and to bring him home with me. Bo was a very nervous dog. When I got him home I inspected his body and realized he was being attacked by the other dogs. Within a week Bo gained trust in me and would allow me to do anything to him.

What made you decide to adopt Bo?
I adopted Bo because I fell head over in heels in love with this old man and could not bear to let him go. I also wanted to make sure Bo would be treated well and never abused again.

Bo is 8 years old. A lot of people are hesitant to adopt an older dog.  What do you feel are the advantages of adopting an older dog?
The advantages of adopting an older dog are that they are calmer; they already have manners and have possibly been trained. And with the case of Bo, he became an instant companion for me.

What do you find most fulfilling about rescue work?

The satisfaction of knowing I help save the lives of this wonderful breed and help them transition to a new home.



Southern States Rescued Rottweilers is a 501(c)3, dedicated to the rescue of Rottweilers and Rottweiler mixes throughout 13 states. The organization is run entirely by volunteers, with 100% of donations and fundraisers going to the veterinarian needs and other related expenses necessary to rescue.


No comments:

Post a Comment